This systematic review in Archives of Surgery identified ten different studies that reported rates of type 2 diabetes reversal. Patients undergoing bariatric surgery were found to have high rates of reversal.
However, the literature search was limited to PubMed, and only identified one randomised trial and eight observational studies.
The reviewers reported that:
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass was associated with an 82% reversal rate of type 2 diabetes
- Adjustable gastric banding was associated with a 62% reversal rate
Readers of this paper should consider:
- Possible publication bias from a limited search strategy
- Whether appropriate quality criteria were applied to the studies
- Possible co-interventions and other confounders in individual studies
- Duration of follow-up
- Definition and monitoring of “reversal” outcomes.
- Patients’ baseline characteristics.
Meijer RI, van Wagensveld BA, Siegert CE, Eringa EC, Serné EH, Smulders YM. Bariatric surgery as a novel treatment for type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Arch Surg. 2011 Jun;146(6):744-50.